Monday, April 4, 2016

Bringing People to Christ

Elder Jacob Stiles 
El Salvador San Salvador West/Belize Mission 
P.O. Box 1123 
Belize City, Belize, C.A. 

jacob.stiles@myldsmail.net


Hey Everyone,

Well, my first week as Zone Leader in Belize City!  I will definitely say it was the last place I thought I'd go, but I'm so excited to be here.  The people are so accepting, and there are so many people!  My companion, Elder Simiskey is the best!  He is an amazing missionary.  He has three changes here so he knows a ton of people.  We live in the same house as the Assistants to the President so we have some company.  Our house has hot water and A/C which is nice.  

Our job as ZL's is to call each of the District Leaders each night and get the numbers of their areas.  Then we add it all up and give it to the AP's.  They tell us how we can improve, and we tell our districts how  they can improve.  We also hold Zone Conferences once a month, and tell the districts how we are going to have success this change.  

There are a lot of crazy people but it makes it interesting.  We went to the funeral of the First Counselor in the Branch Presidency which was really sad but it was very cool to be there to support the family.

Interesting fact about my companion is that he baptized twelve of his friends before the mission.  What he did was told the missionaries to go visit his friends. He also left to leave with the missionaries (??).  

I liked Mervyn Arnolds talk in the Saturday Afternoon session of Conference.  He talked about bringing people to Christ.  During this week my companion and I were talking about the importance of members seeking out people to bring to church.  The missionaries can do a lot but not nearly as much as everyday members.  There is a country in Conga that has an outstanding number of members in the church... and they have never seen missionaries!  All because the people wanted to teach the Gospel.  If we want the Gospel to flourish, every member needs to start thinking of who they can bring to church and put our faith into action. D&C 18:15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
My invitation to everybody is to try to invite just one person to church each week.  Whether they accept your invitation or not, they will feel your love!  I do promise you will come closer to God and your friends if you do so!  I love you all, and hope you have a fantastic week!
Love, Elder Stiles

QUESTIONS:
Is  Belize  as great as you thought it would be?  Yes, it is so amazing! I love being here in Belize City! So much different than before!


What is your house like?  Our house is cool! We have air conditioner, hot showers and a washer!  It's like a house!


How many other missionaries do you live with?  We live with the two Assistants to the President.


What is the name of your ward/branch?  Our branch is the Belize City Branch.


How many members came to church on Sunday?  There are about 120 that come each week.
What are your new responsibilities as Zone Leader?  We take numbers from other missionaries and guide them.


How many districts/missionaries are you responsible for?  3 districts, 12 missionaries


Where did you go to watch Conference?  We watched conference at the church.


What was one of your favorite talks?  One of my favorite talks was Elder Hollands talk! I love how funny he is! And also President Uchtdorf giving out a Star Wars reference in Conference!


What is a miracle that happened this week?  A miracle was that we found a lady named Ms. Gay and she is super positive and came to conference this week and is planning on getting baptized! 
(click on photos to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment